Thursday, July 28, 2011

July Issue: Fasting Journal

On pg. 73, in the section called Small and Simple Things, there is a short side bar written by Renee Harding about keeping a "fasting journal." She says, "Fasting used to be difficult for me - until I began keeping a fasting journal. Now before I begin each fast, I write down a specific purpose for my fast. Throughout my fast, I jot down relevant things that transpire; thoughts, feelings, and impressions that come into my mind and heart; and scriptural references that especially pertain to the purpose of my fast."
I really love this idea! It reminded me of my "temple journal." A couple of years ago a good friend of mine gave me a very nice leather journal - you know, the kind you're afraid to write in! After tucking it away for several months the thought came to my mind to use it as a "temple journal" to record my feelings each time I attend the temple. I try to keep the journal in my temple bag, so that right after I come out of the temple, I take a few minutes (before I go home because I know I'll never get it done once I'm home) to write any thoughts, feelings and impressions that came to me while I was in the temple. I'm not always consistent, so I'm thankful for this short article that has reminded me the importance of recording spiritual impressions.
"By small and simple things are great things brought to pass" (Alma 37:6).