Monday, February 28, 2011

February Issue: Pause & Take Inventory

This article was used as the reference for one of our Sacrament Meeting talks yesterday. I was reminded what a powerful message it has.
"Some parents become so expert at filling every physical desire for their children that they begin to suppose that all is well in this life and that their eternal stewardship is progressing right on schedule...I believe that we must pause and take a careful inventory to determine how well our families are doing spiritually. We could ask how well are we feeding, nurturing, training, and exercising the spirits of our children...Remember, eternity is now, not a vague, distant future. We prepare each day, right now, for eternal life. If we are not preparing for eternal life, we are preparing for something else, perhaps something far less." - M. Russell Ballard

That is my favorite quote from the article. I think it is so powerful. When I pause and take inventory, I realize that I could and should be doing more to spiritually strengthen my family - especially my children. One key for me is to make sure I fix dinner each night. I have found that if we sit down and have dinner together, it is natural to go straight from dinner to scriptures and family prayer.

I think for the month of March, I am going to be more consistent with these responsibilities and duties.