Friday, February 25, 2011

February Issue: Repentance, Atonement, Grace

These two articles, "The Atonement Makes Repentance Possible" and "His Grace is Sufficient" are wonderful articles.
The repentance process is outlined for us:
  • Have Faith
  • Recognize sin and feel sorrow
  • Confess
  • Abandon the sin
  • Make Restitution
  • Forgive others who have sinned against you
I learned two great lessons in these articles. The first came from this quote, "Sometimes we sin by doing something we know is wrong, but sometimes we sin by failing to do what we know is right."
The second came from the story about a mom who realized that she was letting Satan influence her life through her lack of patience for her children. I struggle with patience. But I have realized that if I try to put my needs and desires aside, I do have more patience for my kids and their needs and desires.
I know that when I am frustrated or angry with them the Spirit will not be with me or in our home. It is a weakness I am working on daily.
"Jesus Christ paid the price for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross. He said of His suffering, "[It] caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit" (D&C 19:18)