Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January Issue: Heritage

On pg. 56 of the January issue is an article called, "So They Will Know Their Heritage."  This is an article I would definitely not have read if it weren't for the challenge.  I'm not sure what it is about the words "family history" or "genealogy" but they both give me a knot in my stomach because it's not something I work on and I know I should.
After reading the article, I felt like there was something I could do and that really needs to be done.  So for FHE last night, we read part of this article together, and I taught my family that it is just as important for us to preserve our own history, as it is for us to search out our family history.
Over the years, I have collected pictures, and other memorabilia for each of my kids and stored it all in plastic totes. (What a mess!)















Last night we set a goal for the kids to get their important documents, pictures, and other favorite memories organized into a binder.  Something like this...














They really do love looking through their old photographs, and funny things they have saved.  We all had a good laugh at their kindergarten "self portraits" and stories they wrote about our family.  Here is a picture of each of us you might find in our personal histories...