Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January Issue: Prayer






"Prayer is a supernal gift of our Father in Heaven to every soul. Think of it: the absolute Supreme Being, the most all-knowing, all-powerful personage, encourages you and me, as insignificant as we are, to converse with Him as our Father. It matters not our circumstance, be we humble or arrogant, poor or rich, free or enslaved, learned or ignorant, loved or forsaken, we can address Him. We need no appointment. Our supplication can be brief or can occupy all the time needed. It can be an extended expression of love and gratitude or an urgent plea for help. He has created numberless cosmos and populated them with worlds, yet you and I can talk with Him personally and He will ever answer." - Richard G. Scott







We used this message "The Restoring Power of Prayer" for FHE last night, and tied in an article from the Friend titled, "Wilford's Prayer." Sweet and Simple.

Last week, we had a good experience of an "urgent plea for help" being answered for our family. Ian had lost his ipod at school. It was a gift given to him recently by his grandparents. He was devastated, and so were the other kids. Megan even offered to give hers to him. I felt sick knowing that he had lost it. I knew the only thing we could do was pray. So we knelt down as a family and fervently asked Heavenly Father to help Ian find his ipod. Ian came up to me later that night still in tears. I told him that all we could do was have faith in our prayers, and be grateful we at least had that. He went to bed with a heavy heart. The next morning I checked my email before waking the kids, and found a message from the school principle that the ipod had been found. I knew that our prayers had been answered.